Less than two days ago our city, The City Beautiful, was attacked and we saw how one disturbed individual could forever scar and destroy the lives of dozens of innocent people in a matter of minutes. But through the clouds of despair we saw something else. A beautiful city with a diverse populace coming together to donate blood, care of the wounded, grieve the lost and to give hugs to strangers who needed them. A community that, at its time of crisis stood stronger together than ever before. And these are the people that I am proud to call my family, friends and neighbors.
I’ve always found baking or cooking in difficult times relaxing. It never really mattered what I was making, but it has always taken my mind away for a bit and into a happier place. Yesterday afternoon while watching the devastating news unfold, I altered one of my favorite recipes. I decided to add more chocolate, more peanuts, and more love. Today I plan on giving them away to my friends, neighbors, and strangers because I think we could all use a little extra sweetness during this difficult time.
- 1 Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Cook Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookies according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- Pour chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. On medium power, microwave until melted about 2 minutes.
- Take cooled cookies and drizzle with the melted chocolate. Place on parchment paper and sprinkle with the crushed peanuts.