When hosting a 4th of July BBQ, I like to keep things as simple as possible. That means, easy appetizers that I can make in advanced and heat up right before serving. Buffalo Chicken Firecracker Dip has all of the delicious flavors of buffalo chicken wings, but it’s a lot less time consuming to make. During events such as the Fourth, your time should be spent pool or beach side with a cocktail in hand… Not cooped up in the kitchen all afternoon. Oh and by the way, the red, white and blue chips are a must! Simply take a cookie cutter to make star cutouts on flour tortillas and then bake in the oven with olive oil and salt.
The blue and red chips should be readily available at your local market. This spicy and cheesy dip is always a hit, and is almost always gone by the end of the party. It’s one of those addicting snacks that you can’t get enough of and will just want to be eating it with a spoon. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya! You know what the best part of it is though? Like I said above, it can be made in advanced and popped in the oven right before serving.
A thick layer of cream cheese makes a base for shredded chicken, spicy buffalo sauce, ranch dressing and lots of grated cheddar cheese. I garnished the dip with a little green onion, tomato and tangy blue cheese crumbles for even more of a flavor kick. Dip with some patriotic taco chips or sliced celery and carrots. All choices are fabulous, and it’s always nice to have a little bit of variety while snacking.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 10 oz. chicken, cooked and shredded into small pieces
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Red and blue chips, star chips, celery ribs, and carrots optional
- Garnish ideas (optional): chopped tomato, chopped green onion, blue cheese crumbles
For Star Chips:
- 5 large flour tortillas
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread cream cheese into an un-greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Layer with chicken, wing sauce and ranch dressing. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, serve with tortilla chips, celery ribs and carrot sticks. Yield: about 2 cups.
- Garnish if desired. I used chopped tomato, green onion and blue cheese crumbles.
- To make the Star Chips: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars on the tortillas. place on a baking sheet. Lightly brush with olive oil and season with salt. Bake until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.