Happy Father’s Day weekend to all of the great dads out there! My dad is quite the chocolate connoisseur, and when I prepare dessert for him I always make sure chocolate is involved. This weekend my menu consisted of many of my dad’s favorites and this Brownie Sundae with Crunchy Caramel Corn had to be on the list. It’s a slight twist on your typical brownie sundae, but equally delicious. The crunchy popcorn on top is kind of out of the ordinary, but don’t skimp on it – it really makes the dessert.
A double fudge chocolate brownie is topped with vanilla bean ice cream, with a hot caramel sauce drizzle and sprinkled with fresh caramel popcorn. This dessert has so many different flavors and textures, but some how they all go together. Between the warm brownie, cool ice cream, salty caramel and the crunch of the popcorn you’ll get a combination of greatness, that can’t be explained. Your dad will thank you.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons salted butter, cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 gallon of vanilla bean ice cream
1 large bag of caramel popcorn
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Stir in nuts, if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. For caramel sauce, heat sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. The sugar will form clumps, and melt into a thick brown color as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn, as it is very easy to do when melting sugar!
5. Once sugar is completely melted, add butter.
6. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2 minutes.
7. Slowly add the 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
8. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
9. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Allow to cool.
10. Slice brownies into squares and place into a small bowl. Top with one scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Drizzle caramel sauce on top and sprinkle with caramel popcorn.