This is proof that accidents can turn into something fabulous. This morning I was playing around in my kitchen, per usual, and decided to make a rich, chocolaty bundt cake. I wasn’t sure what I was going to top it with, but hey, pretty much anything is good on chocolate cake right? As I pulled the cake out of the oven, I realized I didn’t pour as much batter as I should of in the pan, and was left with a pretty small cake. It looked exactly like a chocolate donut, and that’s when I started to get creative.
I topped this baby with a rich chocolate ganache, sprinkles and almost a dozen donuts. It’s sinful – but worth it. This cake is perfect for a fun social gathering or birthday party for the donut lover in your life. I used an assortment of donuts but use whatever you like! I know I’ll be looking for more excuses to serve cake topped with donuts in the future.
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
12 donuts, assorted
- CAKE DIRECTIONS: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9″ round pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE DIRECTIONS: Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl; set aside. Place cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and let stand until chocolate has softened, about 5 minutes. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Using toothpicks place donuts on top of cake.