When it comes to Halloween sweets and treats, I can’t resist a creepy yet cute cupcake. With big eyes, crooked teeth and pointy noses, kids and adults will absolutely adore these Monster Madness Cupcakes. I’ll admit it, these aren’t the scariest Halloween treat, but they are fun to put together. The kid in me loved it so much I can’t imagine what a fun project these would be to make with kids helping. There is so much room for creativity – different colors and texture of the “body”, different colored candies for the eyeballs, adding a nose, maybe some hair… the possibilities are endless!
I’ve been a busy bee this Halloween season, like I’m sure many of you are as well. So guess what? I used a store bought cake mix! I know… so not like me but you know what? It turned out great. It tasted delicious and I’m not sure anyone even noticed the difference! Another secret? You can usually buy unfrosted cupcakes at your local grocery store, just ask the bakery. Now that the difficult part is out of the way, all you’ll have to do is decorate the cakes and that is the fun part.
Decorate the cupcakes how you like, and be creative. I used two different colors for the bodies of the monsters, but pick as many different colors as you’d like. For candy I used eyeballs (which can be purchased at a craft store or sometimes the grocery store), mini marshmallows, gumdrops, candy corn (the best), Skittles, and Laughy Taffy. Use what you like, and the crazier the better in my opinion.
1 hour and 15 mins
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow or chocolate fudge cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 2 containers Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- Food dye
- Candy of your choosing to decorate cupcakes
- Heat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- If making multiple different colors of frosting, divide frosting into separate small bowls. Stir in food dye into each bowl. Spoon each color frosting into separate decorating bag fitted with desired tip. Pipe frosting on cupcakes to look like monster’s fur.
- Decorate each cupcake as desired using candy eyeballs and candy.