Happy National S’mores Day! S’mores have always been one of my favorite sweet treats, and when I found out about National S’mores Day I just had to make something special. These donuts have all of the components of the classic campfire treat. A graham cracker donut is topped with homemade toasted marshmallow, drizzled in chocolate and sprinkled with more graham cracker crumbs. There’s so much summertime nostalgia wrapped up in this one sweet treat.
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons instant vanilla pudding
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 graham crackers, crushed to crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 donut pans using cooking spray. Recipe makes 8 donuts.
- In a small cup, mix together milk and vinegar, allow this to sit until it starts to curdle about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl add together flours, instant pudding, graham cracker crumbs, white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the honey into the curdle milk and beat until well combined, then add the egg. Whisk until combined.
- Mix together the wet with the dry ingredients until combined, make sure you don’t over mix, you want a fluffy donut not a dense one.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, cut the corner of a Ziplock bag, add batter and pipe the dough evenly into the prepared pans, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 7 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 1 minute before you turn them over on to a cooling rack. Let the donuts cool on rack.
- Now make meringue. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Pre heat oven to broil. While it’s heating up, frost meringue on donuts. Place donuts back in oven until meringue is toasted. Make sure to watch them closely so they do not burn. Cook about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Once melted, drizzle on top of donuts. Top with crushed graham crackers.