It’s finally Memorial Day Weekend, and it is almost necessary that some type of patriotic dessert is served at our poolside BBQs and beachfront rendezvous. This Summer Berry Tart, with light lemon cream and fresh berries is festive enough for your Memorial Day party or summer occasion. The cream cheese layer tastes light and citrusy, and combined with the crisp pastry and berries, it’s a heavenly summer dessert. A no fuss dessert when you’re looking for something quick to bring to a BBQ, it’s also a definite crowd pleaser.
1 Tablespoon flour, for dusting
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 ounces light cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip
Zest from 1 lemon
3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
2 cups fresh mixed berries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out puff pastry slightly and transfer to baking sheet. With a knife, gently trace a 1-inch border around the edge of the puff pastry, careful not to cut all the way through. Brush beaten egg on the outside border and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden and puffed.
3. Remove from oven. With your hands in oven mitts, gently flatten the center of the pastry. Cool at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
4. While cooling, make the cream cheese mixture. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add Cool Whip, lemon zest and 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, beating again until fluffy and smooth. If pastry is not cooled yet, refrigerate until ready to use. Spread the mixture evenly within the border of the cooled pastry sheet.
5. Arrange your fruit in desired pattern on top of pastry, and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar.