When the weather is warm and the cold drinks are flowing, there’s no accompaniment quite like perfectly crisp crostini topped with ripe summer fruits and vegetables. This scrumptious appetizer is sure to satisfy guests’ cravings for fresh blueberries, corn, tomato, avocado and so much more. Eminently snackable, this crowd-pleaser is not too heavy, and provides a taste of the best produce of the season – and a big platter of them is pretty impressive looking, too. Summer entertaining should be especially simple, because who wants to be stuck inside cooking when your guests are outside enjoying the beautiful weather? Not me, that’s for sure!
Summer is officially here and the living is easy with simple summertime recipes like this one, that take advantage of fresh produce and more laid-back cooking ideas. This appetizer pairs wonderfully with grilled meats, bright salads and cold soups. Enjoy them cold, or at room temperature for a light addition to your warm-weather meal.
The beauty of summer, is it gives you permission to stop trying so hard. Relax. Resign yourself to drinking rosé all day outside. Read for pleasure. And absolutely do not stress about preparing an elaborate dinner.
- 2 whole avocados
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- Pinch of salt
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1-2 ears of corn, grilled
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice French bread into thin slices and toast in oven until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is toasting make the guacamole. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. Immediately add the lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced.
- Top the bread with the gucamole, blueberries, corn, tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.