Behold the North End Slider, an Italian and American classic combined for a tasty slider. The delicious flavors of a caprese salad -basil, tomato and mozzarella – are captured in these small bite burgers. Any time I take a visit out to Boston’s North End I always get a caprese salad. Who’s with me?
A meal that is simple enough to make for a party because you can form the sliders and prep the ingredients the night before and cook right before serving. Top the Italian flavored sliders with fresh sliced mozzarella cheese, artisan lettuce, a thick slice of tomato and a healthy drizzle of the pesto aoli. I used store bought pizza dough to make the buns, and that might have just been the best part. Of course, pre-made rolls are fine, but I highly suggest the pizza dough rolls. They add freshness and a bit more Italian flair.
Oh, and since it’s Divisional Playoffs Weekend, Go Patriots!
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 bag of fresh store bought pizza dough
2 tomatoes on the vine
6 slices of fresh mozzarella
2 tablespoons pesto
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll pizza dough into six separate balls to make sliders. Brush tops with olive oil. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the pesto mayonnaise. Combine mayonnaise, pesto, lemon juice, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Combine ground beef and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Mix to combine. Form six patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Cook patties to desired doneness. Right before the burgers are done, add a slice of mozzarella cheese and melt by placing a cover over the skillet.
- Take off the heat. Place burgers on to buns and top with lettuce, tomato and pesto mayonnaise.