Serve this Leprechaun Dip with Shamrock Chips and Green Vegetables, and you’ll be safe from pinches this St. Patrick’s Day. Fresh green vegetables and Shamrock Chips are paired with a creamy spinach dip, which makes a quick and easy St. Patrick’s Day party food.
It’s believed that the tradition of “pinching” started in the early 1700s, about the time that St. Patrick’s Day, the holiday, came to Boston. People thought that if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns. It was believed that Leprechauns would pinch anyone they could see, so the main reason for the pinching is to warn and remind people of the Leprechauns. Remember to eat and wear green on Monday so the Leprechauns can’t catch you!
Variety of fresh green vegetables
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
¼ cup finely chopped carrot
⅔ cup mayonnaise
⅔ cup sour cream
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced scallions
2 garlic cloves, minced
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay tortillas flat and cut out as many shapes as desired with shamrock cookie cutter. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly spread olive oil on both sides of the tortillas. Season with garlic salt.
- Bake at 350 for 7 minutes and flip shamrocks with tongs. Bake for another 7 minutes or until crispy. While chips are cooling, prepare spinach dip.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chopped spinach, carrot, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, scallion, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne until completely combined. Fold in the sour cream until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate, until very chilled. Serve with Shamrock chips and fresh green vegetables.