There is nothing better than a morning with hot off the griddle pancakes… especially with blueberry compote. The sweet blueberry sauce just takes these pancakes to the next level! Pancakes have always been a weekend staple in my house, because they’re simple, delicious and always a crowd favorite. This summer I’ve been topping them with hand-picked blueberries, and they couldn’t be more fabulous. This recipe is so easy, you might decide pancakes are just convenient enough to eat for dinner.
I love simple, no-fail recipes. Recipes that you know are easy to adapt or add to with ease. This recipe is just that. It’s quick to make and I’m willing to bet you’ve got almost everything if not everything you need to make them right now. In the past, I’ll admit, I called on boxed mixes. Not anymore.
Have you heard of the store Bulk Nation? If you’re a central Florida resident there are a few stores popping up around town, and let me tell you, it’s my new favorite way to shop. You can buy as little or as much as you want and they have over 1000 different items! 1000! I’ve been shopping at their Kissimmee location the past few months, and it’s been a fun experience. Since I’m creating recipes in my kitchen so often, the most cost effective way to buy items like flour, sugar and baking soda is definitely in bulk.
Like I said above, in the past I always relied on using a boxed mix. But why do that when it’s so simple to make pancakes from scratch? They taste better, and it’s a much more affordable way to cook, especially if you shop at a bulk food store, like Bulk Nation.
The following items can be purchased at Bulk Nation, Kissimmee (1397 E Osceola Pkwy, Kissimmee, FL 34744) to create the recipe below.
White granulated sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup + ⅛ cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup whole milk
½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
For blueberry compote:
2 cups of blueberries
3 tbs water
¼ cup white granulated sugar
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, add 1 cup of blueberries, water and sugar. Stir to combine and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the rest of the blueberries and cook for about 8 minutes until sauce has thickened. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Add wet ingredients: egg, milk, butter, and vanilla. Stir together with a fork or whisk.
- Spray a pancake griddle or pan with non-stick spray and turn it on to medium heat.
- Pour about ¼ cup batter onto pan and cook for a few minutes or until bubbles form on the top of the pancakes then flip with a spatula and cook until lightly golden brown.
- Top pancakes with blueberry compote and lots of powdered sugar!